be like (third-person singular simple present is like, present participle being like, simple past was like, past participle been like)
Bạn đang xem: be like
- To be similar to tướng something.
They are like their parents in this respect.
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 1, in A Cuckoo in the Nest:
She was like a Beardsley Salome, he had said. And indeed she had the narrow eyes and the high cheekbone of that creature, and as nearly the sinuosity as is compatible with human symmetry. His wooing had been brief but incisive.
- To be typical or characteristic of someone or something.
- (informal, idiomatic, chiefly US, MLE and Internet slang) To say.
- Synonyms: be all, be all like
If he's like “I don't want to”, then be like “Pretty please! – It means a lot to tướng me”.
1995, Amy Heckerling, Clueless, spoken by Dionne (Stacey Dash):
Xem thêm: lời bài hát 911 i do
This weekend he called má up and he's all “Where were you today?” and I'm like “I'm at my Grandmother's house”…
2012, Mike Lacher, On the Bro'd: A Parody of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road, page 71:
A lotta times I grabbed bags of frozen chicken nuggets to tướng take trang chính. “You know what they say,” Ricky would be like. “Dude's gotta have nugs.”
- The use of "like" to tướng mean "say" is considered by many to tướng be overly informal, and normally only occurs in spoken English.
- The words after the "be like" may not actually be what was said, but instead a summary of what was said. Similarly, unlike "say", "be like" may be impersonal, e.g. 'She was really insistent. It was lượt thích "I really need that right now!"' Speakers who most often use "be like" may use "say" to tướng emphasize that the words are a direct quotation, e.g. if the specific wording is relevant.
- The words after the "be like" may not actually be spoken, but instead be intended to tướng represent a mood in which that thing might be said.
- Like can now also be used without be, as in "She walked in lượt thích 'we're through!'"; see the entry like.
be typical or characteristic of
- this is someone